Friday 4 July 2014

We Were Liars - E. Lockhart

We Were LiarsWe Were Liars by E. Lockhart
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

WHAT'S IT ABOUT?

We are the Liars.

We are beautiful, privileged and live a life of carefree luxury.

We are cracked and broken.

A story of love and romance.

A tale of tragedy.

Which are lies?

Which is truth?



This book I am finding difficult to review without giving anything away. I promise I won't give anything away so stick with me.

I bought this book on the strength of other peoples recommendations on Twitter and Booktube. This is THE talked about book this summer, and although everyone won't tell you anything about it; to not spoil your enjoyment, it is a book that has been raved about.

So, starting off I love the fact there is a little map in the front of the book, this to me gives it a great big thumbs up. This helps you visualise the island and the ground that is covered.

To be honest I found this book a little difficult to get into at first, knowing what was going on and who was who. I feel having a few hours to get into first would help you and enable you to enjoy the book more. It is beautifully written and this gave me the urge to continue reading; the nice thing about this book is that the chapters are so short, so you can always squeeze an extra one in!

At times I felt the story was a little slow and not a lot happened throughout of it until the last part of the book, this was a huge shock and although the suspense was being built towards the end, I didn't see that outcome coming. I also felt that once I had finished the book, this is the type of novel I would want to go back and re-read as I feel I would experience different emotions knowing what was coming.

Throughout the story there are 'fairytales' which are adapted as it goes on. To begin with I couldn't make the link between these, or even why they were part of the book. However at the end I worked them out and although they were nice to include, again I cannot really see the significance of them. This is something I feel that if I was to re read the story I may understand their presence.

This is a very clever and sophisticated book, which I believe is better suited to older teens and those who are in their early 20's. I am older than this and I enjoyed the book too. This is unlike any book I have previously read, due to the background of the characters; there are many issues that arise in this and I feel a younger teen would struggle to understand some of the politics that occur.

I personally did not read any reviews before hand of this book, neither did I read the inside flap or blurb. I feel that this helped me know absolutely nothing about the book and perhaps how I didn't see the ending coming.

Overall this is a very interesting book and I do suggest you give it a go. The only reason I have not given it 5* is down to the fact I struggled to get into it initially.



No comments:

Post a Comment