Friday 26 December 2014

The Silver Collection - Carole Matthews

The Silver Collection (short story collection)The Silver Collection by Carole Matthews
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

The publication of my novel, The Christmas Party, has seen me celebrating a career that has spanned twenty-five books and eighteen years. Yet it seems like only yesterday when I had my first book, Let's Meet on Platform 8, published. I'm so lucky to have an enthusiastic and devoted following of readers - some who've stayed with me from the very beginning and some who are recent converts. Without you reading and enjoying my books, I would never have had the fabulous career I've been blessed with. We make a great team!

I thought it would be nice for you all to join the celebration with me and to offer a small token of my thanks and appreciation for all your support over the years. I love writing short stories and that's what helped to get me started on this road so I've put together a collection of a few of my favourites that have interspersed the last twenty-five books. Each one is very special to me for a different reason and has lovely memories. I hope you enjoy them too. Find half an hour to curl up on the sofa with them and raise a glass to toast twenty-five books and us!

Cheers!
Carole xx




This is a collection if short stories, I didn't know that when I downloaded it, but I was happy to get stuck in.

There are 5 stories in total and before each one there is a little description about each one from Matthews.

So about the stories, they are all in the romance genre.

The first story is called Ignorance is Bliss, this comes from the wife's perspective. She knows her husband is having an affair, she comes across bitter in places and not that likable. She has secrets of her own. This story was ok, not the best in the collection but enjoyable.

The second story 'Travelling Light' was actually my favourite story and I think it was also the longest in the collection.

Alice is travelling alone a few weeks before her wedding, she feels she needs some space before the big day and get her head right. On her travels in China she meets Kane an American and also a fellow traveller. They decide to spend their time together while they are in China, making sure to visit all the sites.

As times goes on Alice realises her love for Stephen (her fiance) back home, May not actually be what she wants.

I really enjoyed This short story, it became my favourite in the collection. It felt complete and not rushed at all.

The third story 'A weekend in Venice' was enjoyable but I also found it a little unbelievable. This story felt completely different to Matthews other stories in the book and took on a slightly more erotic feel.

The fourth story 'Hotel Du Lac' was only 5 pages and unfortunately you were able to tell when reading it. It came across very rushed with very little storyline. This I feel was not the best story and has left me feeling flat, to be honest I have just finished the collection and couldn't tell you anything about this story, it completely was lost on me. This certainly was the most disappointing story in the collection.

'The way to a man's heart' is the final story in this collection. The story is about chocolate and building up a business. Maddys ex lives in the flat above, when they split up she decided she wanted to start again and creating her own business seemed to be the way to go. After a while her ex turns up on her doorstep and begins trying her products,this quickly turns into a regular thing. This was another enjoyable story in this collection.

I read all stories in an afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment