Friday 18 October 2013

Undeniable - Liz Bankes

UndeniableUndeniable by Liz Bankes
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

'Gabi is so excited – she's spending the summer working as a runner on her favourite TV show. It's a dream come true! Plus it's perfect for for distracting her from The Break-Up – especially with all those gorgeous actors around.


And then there's Spencer Black: student, extra, expert flirt. Everything with him is fun, intoxicating – and uncertain. Things between them are hotting up when he lands a minor role on the show. So is it make or break for them? Is Spencer undeniably the one for Gabi?'





I had never read any of Liz Bankes books before, but when I was sent it to read from the publisher I looked forward to it.

From looking at the front cover I didn't actually know it was in the YA category, I thought this looks very adult and could perhaps dip into the Erotic area. I was very wrong. From reading the back cover I thought it would instantly be a hit with teens and those in their early 20's.

This book seems to have everything, the reality T.V, 'The Hills' type show being shot and obviously the attractive actors and actresses; this twinned with romance was always going to be a hit.

Gabi moves to London for the summer on work experience, her Granny is an actress and managed to get her a job as a runner on the hottest T.V series to be filmed for a while. This turns out to be Gabi's favourite series and she can not wait. However she is also recovering from a broken heart, this being one of the reasons she decided to move to London for the summer.

Very quickly Gabi meets Spencer, who has a small part in the series, they click right to begin with, but Gabi knows she is not there to develop relationships but to hopefully enhance her career.

The book is split into present and flash backs that Gabi has with her ex, Max. Max is a character we only really see from Gabi's point of view, she paints him to be caring and loving. We learn a lot about Max and Gabi's relationship through these flash backs and it is written very well.

There are many characters in the book that arrive at different times, this was done well as I didn't become lost with the characters, but felt it needed them. You develop feelings through the book for the characters and I must say I loved Gabi, she was funny, down to earth and an average teenager. My feelings for Spencer changed as I got further into the book and by the end my thoughts had changed again. The main person I felt sorry for was Max, I don't want to give too much away, but he is a genuine nice guy.

Undeniable is a very quick read, I read in less than 24 hours, it was easy to slip in and out of and would appeal to the younger audience. Some of the scenes in the book are a bit steamy though I think for younger teens and there is a guidance on the back to be read by over 15's. I also enjoyed this book as I found it rather funny, this was something else I did not expect from the book. This made me want to continue to read it, this is not a long novel and could easily be read in a few days. I did find that I preferred the first half of the book and I found I read this quicker, this I feel was because it had funnier parts to it, however I did enjoy the rest of the book too.

Like I said I had never read any previous books by Liz, however I notice that we meet some of the characters in the previous book. This does not matter and you do not have to of read it to understand this one. After reading this book, I would like to read the previous.

I would like to thank the publisher for sending me this to review.


No comments:

Post a Comment