Wednesday 23 October 2013

Borrowing my Mother's Saints - Olga Soaje

Borrowing My Mother's SaintsBorrowing My Mother's Saints by Olga Soaje
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

'What can you possibly do when your dazzling life starts unraveling before your eyes? For Julianna Di Santis, a thirty-three-year-old ad executive whose dream life in New York City is crumbling before her very eyes, it might just mean calling in a few good souls to save her. Borrowing My Mother’s Saints is the heartwarming, humor-filled book by Olga G. Soaje that charts one young woman as her life suddenly hits the skids, and only a much higher order can help to set it right. With a plum job at Nelson and Nelson ad agency, a Manhattan apartment, and a boyfriend named Michael who looks good enough on paper, Julianna is at the peak of her game. That’s when everything starts going south fast. Nancy, her nemesis at work with a fake smile (and other body parts!), has somehow stolen her account. Her boss, Peter, deems her burned out and sends her out the door with her cardboard box. And that’s just the beginning of the rapid-fire onslaught of serious woes. 

After Michael dumps her squarely, her mom is diagnosed with breast cancer. Julianna is officially at her wit’s end. However, just as she’s in the deepest despair, enter a cast of characters that Julianna hasn’t seen since her childhood days at home and in her Catholic grade school. Tucked away in her mother’s recipe box is a bounty of saints cards, and soon, those the saints come marching in to represent a source of strength her mother had found in them and a way to develop other career paths she had not considered on her road to happiness. Julianna slowly learns to looks at life, work, and relationships in an entirely new light. '





I was approached by the author, who offered me her book to review. I agreed as I love 'chick lit' and I was looking forward to reading it.

As I began to read the book, I found it a little heavy with saints and faith etc, I am not particularly that religious and I was worried that the whole book would go down the same path. I am glad I stayed with the book as it got a lot better.

The story is one of a 30 something woman and the ups and downs of her life and decisions she has to make along the way. I found it very easy to read, past the beginning and didn't want the story to end. When it did end I found it a bit abrupt. It would have been nice for the ending to have been developed a bit more.

I found this a very quick read and completed in a weekend. This would appeal to many women as they can relate to the story and is quite light hearted. This is a book that is written very well, unfortunately I felt the book wasn't for me.

I would like to thank Olga again for sending me this copy to read.


No comments:

Post a Comment