Wednesday 31 July 2013

The Undomestic Goddess - Sophie Kinsella

The Undomestic GoddessThe Undomestic Goddess by Sophie Kinsella
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

'Samantha is a high-powered lawyer in London. She works all hours, has no home life, and cares only about getting a partnership.She thrives on the pressure and adrenalin. Until one day... she makes a mistake. A mistake so huge, it'll wreck her career.

She walks right out of the office, gets on the first train she sees, and finds herself in the middle of nowhere. Asking for directions at a big, beautiful house, she is mistaken for the interviewee housekeeper and finds herself being offered the job. They have no idea they've hired a Cambridge-educated lawyer with an IQ of 158 - Samantha has no idea how to work the oven.

Disaster ensues. It's chaos as Samantha battles with the washing machine...the ironing board...and attempts to cook a cordon bleu dinner.But gradually, she falls in love with her new life in a wholly unexpected way.


Will her employers ever discover the truth? Will Samantha's old life ever catch up with her? And if it does...will she want it back?'


This was the first Sophie Kinsella book I read. I was bought it as a gift for my birthday; I was reluctant to read a Sophie Kinsella book - I am not sure why but it soon turned out that I was hooked!

The main character Samantha works in the city as a lawyer, something she has worked hard for but the pressures of it mean that she is feeling a little overwhelmed. She has no time for herself and is beginning to always feel stressed.

She ends up catching a train after she has made a BIG mistake a work, she has no idea where she is going or when she is going to get off but she can not face up to the mistake.

When she does get off the train she goes to a house, she ends up being mistaken for a housekeeper as they are conducting interviews that day. Samantha goes along with the interview and ends up getting the job. The job is live in so she has nothing to worry about, in respects of finding somewhere to live. 

All the time she is there she is keeping her secret while she is trying to work out what to do; she ends up having to quickly learn to cook, clean and complete other household chores that she has never done before and not too sure how to do.

As time goes on Samantha falls in love, which is something she has no intention of doing, what will happen now? How will she go back to her regular life? Will she tell her new found love about her secret?

I loved every minute of it, I felt I could relate to the story of having a very busy life almost feeling you are working robotic-ally and when you are given an escape maybe take it?

It had me in stitches and remains my favourite Sophie Kinsella book, even though I have read it many times it still takes pride of place on the book shelf.

I would urge anyone with a busy working life to read it, Sophie Kinsella writes brilliantly and is excellent at bringing humor to her books.

I love Sophie Kinsella books and in my opinion she cannot write them quick enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment