Saturday 7 September 2013

Maine - J.Courtney Sullivan

MaineMaine by J. Courtney Sullivan
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

'The Kelleher's beachfront holiday house creaks under a weight of secrets. A place where cocktails follow morning mass and children eavesdrop, it is home to matriarch Alice, who would trade every floorboard for a chance to undo the events of one night, decades before. As summer arrives and the women in Alice's family descend on the shore, it soon becomes clear that these mothers and daughters have been deeply hurt by the people they love the most. But as this fierce, irrational love burns ever brighter, anger builds and painful secrets are unearthed.'



Maine is about different generations of American/Irish women and a daughter – in law, that meet at a beach cottage and a very expensive property in Maine. The story begins by introducing each character, to allow the reader background knowledge on them. This theme continues through the story with it being told through the view of the four women.

This I struggled with as I didn’t find all the women interesting and found myself wanting to skip chapters until I did get to a character that was slightly interesting. The story was written well, but the three stars are down to the characters, I felt I could not connect to them and wasn’t that interested. This made the book a struggle for me to finish and took me a long time to read.

The characters were developed well and the reader is given a lot of information about all of the women. I really wanted to read this book as the blurb sounded so good. I thought it would be my type of book; however I found the story a bit slow, nothing really picked up until towards the end of the story and by then I was a bit bored with it.

I would like to thank the publisher for sending me the book to read, this has not affected my review in any way.


No comments:

Post a Comment