Sunday 12 January 2014

I heart Christmas - Lindsey Kelk

I Heart ChristmasI Heart Christmas by Lindsey Kelk
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

'Angela’s planning her very own fairytale of New York…

• Enormous Christmas tree
• Eggnog
• Eccentric British traditions
• Gorgeous man


But Santa’s throwing her a few curveballs – new job (as if it’s not mental enough already), new baby-craze from her best friend Jenny, and Alex determined they should grow up and settle down. Once friends start turning up uninvited on her doorstep (and leading her astray), can Angela really have a merry little Christmas? So much for happy holidays – something’s got to give…'



When I heard that Lindsey Kelk was bringing out 'I heart Christmas' I couldn't wait! I have read all of her other books in the 'I heart' series and loved all of them. Christmas being my favourite time of year mixed with a bit of Angela I thought would be a match made in heaven. I was however a little disappointed, I think I expected a little more Christmas in the book, and I kept looking for it, but didn't find I found it.

I did find the book a little hard to get into which was a shame as I was expecting to love it right from the beginning, as I have with all the other 'I heart' books.

Angela is all loved up in New York with Alex, her best friend Jenny has decided that she wants to have a baby, Angela is not as supportive as perhaps she could be, but then Jenny can be a little erratic and as she is currently not in a stable relationship, Angela doesn't think it's a good idea. In other parts of her life, Angela is going up in the world at the magazine company she works in. She has been given a brilliant opportunity to be in charge for a few months, which could really see her take off. However Angela has reservations about her ability to run the firm. Alex is talking about moving house and Angela gets a surprise visit from her best friend from England Louisa with her toddler in tow, Grace.

To me this book I found was stressful, I didn't think it was very Christmassy and although Angela was beginning her preparations for Christmas I don't think this came across as strong as it could have done in the book. There was one drama after another and I think the Christmas theme got lost.

Overall I did enjoy the book, however I didn't think it lived up to Lindsey's high standard as her other books have. I felt that it was starting to loose it's spark, which I hope this is just a blip as I enjoy her books so much. I felt a lot of issues were bought up in the book and that almost too much was happening at one time.

I would recommend you to read the other 'I heart' books before reading this as it will give you a better understanding of the characters and background knowledge of the story lines. I am glad that I had the opportunity to read this book, however I am hoping the new 'I heart' book is back to the usual standard.

No comments:

Post a Comment