Tuesday 10 December 2013

Just for Christmas - Scarlett Bailey

Just For ChristmasJust For Christmas by Scarlett Bailey
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

'Her best friend's wedding...

When Alex Munro learns that the love of her life is getting married to another girl, all she wants is to be alone - and as far away from Edinburgh as possible.

Moving to a Cornish cottage, which comes complete with the world's scruffiest dog, Alex finds that her new neighbours are determined to involve her in their madcap Christmas festivities.


Then she meets her sexy neighbour Ruan - and somehow Alex doesn't want to be alone this Christmas after all. But having lost one fianc�, Ruan has no intention of letting anyone get close to him again...'



I have never read a Scarlett Bailey novel before and I am not quite sure how I have missed them! First of all I would like to say what a fabulous cover this is and it comes complete with glitter even on the spine of the book!

This story is about Alex, she lives in Scotland but is left heartbroken by her best friend who announces he is getting married and has fallen out with her dad. Mum left years ago and she doesn't have any other family, so she decides to apply for a job in Poldore, Cornwall.

Now this to me has a very personal connection, Poldore, which I quickly found out was a fictional place, however many features of the description of the place triggered my memory. My grandparents lived down in Cornwall and owned a B&B for years, I gradually discovered that Poldore was actually based on the village that my grandparents lived in. I could not believe it, and tweeted Scarlett who confirmed my suspicion! This to me then made me love the story even more as I could picture where Alex was and it bought back happy memories for me.

Anyway back to the story, Alex applied for a harbor master position in Poldore and got the job, which come along with a cottage in the village and a dog that came with the cottage ha ha! This was something Alex was not keen on, however over time in the story she came to love the dog - Bouy. This is a brilliant tale of an outsider being accepted into a village community and feeling like part of the family that the village is.

Alex moved down to Poldore in the running up to Christmas, so the book features Christmas aspects and the warmness of the villagers really get you into the Christmas spirit.

I found the book to not be a straight forward romance chick lit book, which I enjoyed as it has you guessing aspects of it and leaves a little to the imagination. This book has everything, it takes you through emotions which will have you laughing to crying. I found this an easy Christmas read which was very enjoyable. I would recommend every one to add it to their Christmas book wish list. I would like to thank the publisher for sending it to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment