Sunday 3 November 2013

Christmas Yves - Nicola May



Christmas Yves
Novella by Nicola May - Out this November!





Synopsis: 

It’s two days before Christmas - and Evie Harris finds herself both manless and jobless. After a chance encounter with handsome Greg (and egged on by her toy-boy-eating friend, Bea) she agrees to work at a homeless shelter on Christmas Day. 

Striking up an unlikely friendship with homeless Yves, Evie  begins an unwitting journey of spiritual awakening, all set against the sparkling winter backdrop of London landmarks. 
  
A New Year’s Eve revelation is on its way . . .  but will it leave Evie with a happy heart, or will she allow the pre-Christmas past to dictate her future?


Review:

This morning when I woke up I was not expecting the opportunity to read Nicola May's new novella, when I saw she was asking for bloggers to read this I jumped at the chance. I love a good short story and I did not want to turn this one down. 

First of all I want to mention the cover, what a gorgeous cover?! 

The story begins with Evie, she catches her boyfriend cheating and he moves out, she is left alone a few days before Christmas. Evie has had a rough time, not only has she lost her boyfriend but she also lost her job. She now has the added stress of what to do once her money runs out, she has enough to see her through the rest of this year but when January comes it is going to be tough!

Evie is drowning her sorrows in the pub with her best friend Bea, Bea is a character I love. She says it as it is and is actually quite humorous, she does bring extra fun to the novella. While they are discussing the matters at hand Greg interrupts them. Greg helps out at a homeless shelter and as he has heard Evie has no where better to be on Christmas day ropes her into helping him out there. 

This is a feel good factor novella and carries many messages and morals. I found it heartwarming and all the characters you grow to love. Yves, Evie meets on Christmas day at the homeless shelter and sparks up an unlikely friendship with him, they meet regularly and he opens her eyes to her life and others. 

The story has the magic you require in a Christmas story and it brings hope to everyone who reads it. It is short, however I didn't feel like it had been rushed. It gives you the feel good factor once you have read it. I loved the epilogue at the end, I felt that this nicely wrapped up the story, it didn't need to be there as the story would have fine without it, however it created an extra spark that I wasn't expecting. 

I found that it was not too predictable, the love interest I worked out from the beginning but the story with Yves was a surprising one and this I very much enjoyed. 

I would like to thank Nicola for sending me her novella to read today, it has left me with sparkle and magic, I also feel I have been touched by the story and will remember it for some time. I urge everyone to add this to your Christmas reading list this year as you will not be disappointed in this little gem. 


I would rate this novella 5*

No comments:

Post a Comment