Monday 18 March 2019

I Owe You One by Sophie Kinsella

I Owe You OneI Owe You One by Sophie Kinsella
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Fixie Farr can’t help herself. Straightening a crooked object, removing a barely-there stain, helping out a friend . . . she just has to put things right. It’s how she got her nickname, after all. 

So when a handsome stranger in a coffee shop asks her to watch his laptop for a moment, Fixie not only agrees, she ends up saving it from certain disaster. To thank her, the computer’s owner, Sebastian, scribbles her an IOU – but of course Fixie never intends to call in the favour.

That is, until her teenage crush, Ryan, comes back into her life and needs her help – and Fixie turns to Seb. But things don’t go according to plan, and now Fixie owes Seb: big time.

Soon the pair are caught up in a series of IOUs – from small favours to life-changing debts – and Fixie is torn between the past she’s used to and the future she deserves. 

Does she have the courage to fix things for herself and fight for the life, and love, she really wants? 




I really wanted to enjoy this book, I love Sophie Kinsella novels, however the last few she has written I felt have really let me down. This one unfortunately for me didn't give me the full enjoyment I came to expect from a Sophie Kinsella novel.

There were a few things, which annoyed me in this book. To begin with the main characters name Fixie, it just irritated me, I understood why she is called this and it is only a nickname but it just grated on me the more I read of it.

The second thing was the love affair with Fixie and Seb, how they got together just wasn't very believable for me, one minute he was with Bryony, which I'm guessing he has been her for some time and then literally the next minute Seb is asking Fixie out and they end up staying the night at his.

Fixie is left to deal with her families business while her mum is on holiday with her aunt, there is a lot about family in this book and how you support each other.

This was a very quick read, I read over a couple of plane journeys and it kept me entertained. I just felt it didn't have the humour I have grown accustomed to with Kinsella's novels.

I am hoping that Sophie Kinsella gets the spark back to her writing like she had when she wrote Can you Keep a secret and The Undomestic Goddess as personally I feel these were her best standalone novels.

No comments:

Post a Comment