Monday 15 October 2018

Mine by J.L. Butler

MineMine by J.L. Butler
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This debut novel will be your new obsession. Francine Day is a high flying lawyer about to apply for silk, ambitious and brilliant. She just needs one headline grabbing client to seal her place as queen's counsel … Martin Joy. The attraction is instant. Obsessive. They embark on a secret affair and Francine thinks she can hold it together. But then Martin's wife goes missing. And Martin is the prime suspect. Francine is now his lawyer, lover and the last person to see Donna Joy alive. As the case unravels so does Francine. My client. My lover. My husband. My obsession.



This book seemed intriguing to me and when I found that it was one of my favourite authors writing under a different name I knew I had to give this one ago.

This was more mystery to thriller I thought and I don't read many mystery books so was looking forward to this one. The plot and idea seemed a good one, one that would keep my interest throughout (this is quite a long book...) and it did on the whole, there were times that I thought it lacked a little pace.

Francine Day is a lawyer, she works hard and is trying to go for promotion soon, she is a divorce lawyer and when Martin Joy hires her initially it seems like any other case she takes on. This is quite a high profile case, there is a lot of money at stake and as she is one of the best lawyers around it seemed sensible he choose her for the job of defending him.

After initial meetings and a random bump into each other in a different context, Martin and Francine start to become close...Francine knows she shouldn't get involved in that way, she has worked so hard for everything she has achieved to risk throwing it all away over a guy, but things are different with Martin.

Overall it was a good story, which did keep me interested but I just didn't believe Francine in the way she behaved, she made some bad choices throughout the book, some which I cannot understand her reasoning.

I don't want to say anymore about the book as I don't want to give things away. It was not the best book I have read but it did entertain me and I would certainly give J.L. Butler another go with the next book to be published.

If you are looking for something a little different, give this a go.

No comments:

Post a Comment