Monday 2 June 2014

Mad about You - Sinead Moriarty

Mad About YouMad About You by Sinéad Moriarty
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

'Emma and James Hamilton have weathered lots of storms in their ten-year marriage. From the heartbreak of infertility, to the craziness of then becoming parents to two babies in one year, to coping with James losing his job, somehow they have always worked as a team.

However, the pressure of moving from Dublin to London for James's new job - away from familiar surroundings and the family Emma loves - puts them under stress like never before. So when James starts getting texts from a stranger - texts that show startling insights into their lives - Emma is not sure what to think. She is far from home, isolated and before long finds herself questioning everything about their relationship.

Maybe those texts are telling her the truth and the life she believed to be solid and secure is just a mirage. Somehow she has to get a grip, but how can she do that when a stranger is set on driving Emma out of her home and her marriage?'




This was the first book I have read by Sinead Moriarty and I cannot believe this is her ninth book! Where have I been?

Once I started reading this book I realised that it was from a series of four, this being the latest book. This however did not take away my enjoyment of the book, and if there was going to be another story in this series I would like to read it.

This is a story about Emma and James, they have two small children and move from Ireland to London for James' job. He is the coach of the London Irish Rugby club and has been head hunted from Ireland to help bring the level of the club up. Emma reluctantly agrees to go, she knows she will miss Ireland immensely but understands that in a marriage you need to compromise and give up things for your husband.

Once in London James' cracks on with going to work, leaving Emma to sort out the kids and figure things out. Luckily Emma's sister Bab's lives in London, only round the corner and regularly spends time with her, helping her settle in. Bab's encourages Emma to go back to work and helps her by offering her a job. Emma has to hire a nanny to look after the children in order to take the job, but Emma likes to work and feels this will help her settle in.

After a few weeks Jame's begins to receive sextexts on his phone, who thinks its some of the lads at work having a laugh. Emma then begins to receive some too from the same person and then presents start arriving at her house.

I really, really enjoyed this book, I think the way that Moriarty writes is brilliant. The language flows so well and the book was such a quick read as I really got into it. The only down side of the book and the reason I have given 4 stars instead of 5 is because I guessed just a little under half way through the book. Because of the way the book was written and I was enjoying it so much I continued to like the book.

All the characters were written extremely well, I particularly loved Imogen, Emma's sister in law, who is stuck up and thinks she is perfect. I loved the banter that goes on between her and Lara, the daughter and Bab's.

Bab's is another character I loved and actually at times I preferred her story that was going on in the story. I really felt that I could connect to her, I feel if I was an auntie I would be like ha ha!


I feel that this is not your usual chick lit and offers something a little bit different. I only wish I had read the others in the series before this one and I would have liked to have read them in order. This book however does not need to be read in a series, just I enjoyed her writing style so much that I would have liked more.

I was really pleased I had the opportunity to read this story and I do hope I can read more from Moriarty in the future.

I would like to thank the publisher for supplying me with a copy in exchange for a honest review.

2 comments:

  1. I really, really want to read this book. It sounds so wonderful! I've never read any books by her either, but I'm going to for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really, really enjoyed it. It is one of those books that stays with you for a long time after and really makes you think! X

    ReplyDelete